Oh well.... Nothing can beat a freshly homemade chicken soup...
..... the perfect medicine to cleanse up.... the perfect hunger settler...
As usual, 7LittleRubbers has improvised in its inky food cooking moments... It is still February after all....
- Any chicken you may have (we used 2 chicken breasts) Try to use organic, but tasty one!
- Greek olive oil (1tbs)
- Bay leaves
- Spices (we used Greek bukovo)
- Greek pasta (kritharaki)/ orzo, although rice will do the job, but greek pasta is yummy!
- fresh onions (1)
- some veggies (any)/ we added some carrots and peas
- leek (1)
- lemon (1)
- vegetable or chicken stock or cube
- cognac - 1 tbs
- 1 egg
- optional: coriander to serve
IMPROVISE TO COOK
- Cook the chicken in the casserole, with a drop of olive oil, together with the garlic and as much pepper and spices you wish to have... turn to cook until it turns slightly brown (do not burn)
- As soon as it is a bit brown, add a bit of cooking alcohol (or real alcohol: we used a drop of Greek Cognac)- let the chicken absorb it for a few seconds
- Then add water, as much as necessary to cover the chicken and to make your soup (you may need to add more water as the soup is getting cooked: just feel it or taste it- pasta tends to drain all the water- add more as you cook)
- Add flavour to the water, by adding some stock (vegetable stock or chicken stock)/ one pot or cube will do the job (taste, maybe you need more pepper/spices)
- Add some salt
- As soon as it starts boiling add the pasta
- Add the freshly veggies (cut them in cubes, as small as your artistic skills allow!)
- Add some turmeric
- Add the bay leave
- Add the leek and the fresh onion (1 and 1)
- Add anything additional that you like
- When the chicken is cooked and the pasta and the veggies have softened, you are almost ready...... almost....
- Prepare the eggs with the lemon by beating together one egg and the juice of one lemon, add slowly slowly some drops from the cooking soup in the mixture and do not stop whisking everything together: This is your 'Avgolemono', i.e. egg+lemon, sauce
- Add the 'avgolemono' sauce in the soup and cook for 2 more minutes
- If you fancy, add some lemon zest in the soup
- Remove and serve
- Add some freshly cut coriander on top (optional) to add some green flavour